Delving deeper into PIN controlled parental controls, here are a few tips and suggestions.
We all know subscribers can create individual accounts for their kids to protect them from accidentally tuning to an “R” rated movie.
We all also know – many subscribers will never create a separate account for their children.
For these subscribers, Conklin-Intracom created a “Ratings PIN.” It is the alternate approach and brilliantly simple. It restricts the main account’s access to unwanted content, requiring a user to enter a PIN to watch higher-rated, racy or indecent content.
- Access the “Rating PIN” by selecting “Settings” and then “Accounts” from the on-screen menu of any set top in a home.
- Create a PIN and select the lowest “Protected Rating” level.
For users willing to put in the time to personalize their kid’s account, here are some additional options at their disposal:
- Modify an account from any set top in their home or via the web interface.
- Pre-set the max MPAA content rating to control the type of content a child can access.
- Remove or limit access to on-screen purchasing by setting the max dollar amount for each account (parental translation = I am not made of money).
- Limit viewing time to certain timeslots, restrict channels and/or programs (parental translation = Do your homework).
- Remotely reset PIN numbers via the web interface (parental translation = Emergency “You are so grounded!”).